Friday, October 3, 2014

Learning Blog 2- "Maybe I should just pay someone..."
Well my friends it has been a somewhat depressing week.  Okay so actually...really depressing might be a better word for it.  First of all let me explain with a picture: 
Apparently, no one in Columbia does family history he he he.  Now have no fear, not everything was depressing this week.  I started out the week by taking an hour and half long online lesson on how to do Hispanic family history work.  I have to say it was a very helpful lesson.  In fact I recorded several pages of notes.  
Step #1: Gather as much history as you can from the living.
I had my husband call his mother with instructions to get as much information as possible.  I stood next to him prompting him what to ask.  
  • Marlon: "Hey mom, we're trying to do some genealogy."  
  • Mami: "Okay, what can I help you with?"
  • Marlon: "I need to get the names of your mom and dad."
  • Mami:  "Sure....." (She then proceeded to give the names. Now this was a good thing because we actually had incorrect information.)
  • Marlon: "Now I need the names of your grandparents and where they were born."
  • Mami:  "I don't know."
  • Marlon: "Do you know where they came from?" 
  • Mami:  "No." 
  • Me in my head: "WHAT! You don't know that names of your grandparents?!"
So as you can see, the living aren't very helpful.  Marlon's dad is in a rest home due to dementia and his family had a fight over money many years ago.  I don't see that conversation being much more helpful. 
But you know what? It's okay I plowed forward with faith in my online resources.  The online training taught me how to use the family history catalog.  I had places to go, things to accomplish! All I needed to do was look into the civil registration records or Colombia.  I would find them if it was the last thing i did in this lifetime. I went to the family search catalog and after several attempts believe that i found the file that i needed, but uh oh....
(At this moment in time imagine a sad sad Ashley.) The document I need to look at is not scanned for online use.  It appears that i can either pay to have the microfilm sent to a library near me or I can travel to the Family History Center in downtown Salt Lake City.  As I do not wish to spend a lot of money, I have opted for the trip downtown.  I'm not quite sure where I will fit this into my schedule, thus a sad, sad Ashley this week. lol  
I can't help but relate my experience to scaffolding.  The idea of scaffolding is that a teacher can gradually prompt a student to higher levels of competence.  Basically with a little help we can get students to accomplish great things and eventually be able to do it themselves without the help and guidance.  My online learning module for Hispanic family history was my teacher.  It gave me hints and helps of how to proceed further. 
Vygotsky also warns us that it's pointless to have students try to complete tasks beyond their capabilities even if we are providing support.  It will only produce frustration and confusion.  I feel that i have have been presented a task that is beyond my capabilities so I am  confused and frustrated. 
Frustration-580x385
As I moped in self pity I seriously contemplated clicking the following button: 
This seemed like a logical solution to my problem but after regaining my composure I realize that that would be defeating the purpose of the project :).  I look forward to happier endings next week. My motivation is still strong and I endeavor to remain optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment