Friday, November 7, 2014

Learning Blog 7 – "If only I had some extra room"

This week we have been reading about transfer and it has really resonated with me.  I've retaken the exact same course that I took when I first started doing genealogy. This time everything made so much more sense to me and I was able to apply it to what I've been looking at on microfilm.  Now I have a better idea of which microfilms I should be looking through first.  I feel more capable of going back to the Family History Library and applying what I learned from the tutorial. I think that my transfer wasn't as effective the first time just because the whole topic of genealogy was new to me.  Now I have some background knowledge to go off of. 

I also am relating a lot to intrinsic motivation. If it weren't for this I would have stopped looking a few weeks ago.  The interesting things is that I LIKE looking through microfilms.  I'm getting better at it too.  

The only problem is that I still haven't found what I need.  I have a lot of sources that I'm still waiting on which could prove to be fruitful.  Marlon's dad still hasn't given us the names of his siblings.  We're waiting for him to be in a good mood when we call :)

Hopefully I will find something this week but I've decided to accept that this is going to take much longer than I thought.  I just don't have enough time in my days to go downtown to the library as much as I wish I could.  Just out of curiosity I looked up how much it would cost for a microfilm reader.  I found some on ebay for a pretty decent price but I don't think my husband will be ecstatic if I haul in a huge machine that we have no room for.  It would also mean that I would have to buy all of the films that would be around $10 each.  Hmmmm but still he he he.......Maybe i could put it on a coffee table. 


No comments:

Post a Comment